Are artificial plants doomed to a “life” indoors?
Can they break free and tiptoe into the outdoors?
There’s much to talk about here, and we’re happy to delve deeper into the details for you. We’ll uncover some hidden truths and find an answer to your pressing question - can you put fake plants outside?
Let’s find out, shall we?
Can You Put Artificial Plants Outside?
Yes. You can put fake plants outside.
Well, most of the time.
With people decorating their yards and patios in droves, it’s no wonder we’ve been seeing an influx in questions about fake plants for outside. After all, we won’t be relegating our artificial greenery to the inside of the house, right?
Faux plants can withstand the elements and flourish beyond the cozy confines of our homes. With UV-resistant materials, fake plants can endure prolonged exposure to the sun and brave varying temperatures with little to no wear and tear.
But there are differences between our 2 types of fauxliege - plastic and silk. So, you should err on the side of caution before bringing them outdoors.
Can You Put Plastic Plants Outside?
Yes, you can put plastic plants outside. But you should always consider the environmental conditions. Plastic fauxliege has evolved over the years to become even more durable and weatherproof. This lends well to landscape decor in areas subject to unpredictable weather.
Plastic fake plants for outdoor use should include UV-resistant materials. In turn, this ensures minimal fading and deterioration.
Can You Put Silk Plants Outside?
Yes and no.
While silk plants can brighten up any indoor space, their favorite place isn’t the great outdoors. Although silk plants are made from synthetic materials and are durable in their own right, you shouldn’t force them to stay outside.
Especially if you live in a rainy area, the moisture can compromise the appearance of silk plants and shorten their lifespan. This is one of the reasons why we don’t recommend cleaning silk foliage with water, either. But if your fake plants sit outside the front door on a covered porch, you shouldn’t encounter any problems.
When in doubt, check the specific label or description or ask the manufacturer directly. Better safe than sorry, they say.
Will Fake Plants Last Outside?
Your fake plants’ longevity depends on their quality and the outdoor conditions they’re exposed to. So, unlike everything else so far, this question has no straightforward answer.
High-quality outdoor artificial plants made from UV-resistant materials have passed a stringent production process. This cements their ability to withstand the elements better than cheap, low-quality products. As a result, they'll last for an extended period and retain their vibrant appearance.
For example, Designer Plants’ artificial greenery is manufactured to last up to 5 years when exposed to inclement weather and up to 15 when covered and protected.
Proper care and maintenance also play a role in how long fake plants will last outside. Although you don’t have to pay as much attention to them as you would to real plants, you should clean your fauxliege regularly to remove dust and debris.
To delay fading, spray your fake greenery with UV spray at least once every few months. And if you want to do even more, place your new decorative pieces in shaded areas and reduce direct sunlight exposure.
How to Store Fake Plants Outside
After getting your hands on a new green addition to your yard, you’ll need to consider storing options.
Now, if you’ve bought an artificial green wall, you can skip this section. There isn’t much you have to do after hanging your faux vertical garden up besides occasionally cleaning it. But for artificial boxwood hedges and potted fake plants, you should safeguard them during more dormant periods, like a precious treasure.
Here’s what you should do to ensure your faux plants stay vibrant outside:
- Clean them - Since your fake plants have to bear the weather every day, the least you can do is give them a thorough clean. Use a soft brush or cloth to wipe off dirt and pay attention to both the stems and the leaves. Clean out all the little crevices because this is where bugs often hide.
- Use planters - If you want both protection and style, invest in a sturdy outdoor planter. For the best results, buy concrete or porcelain planters to protect the bottom of the plant and provide reliable shelter for a “hibernation” phase.
- Use vases - For upright or hanging artificial plants, look for intricate vases or baskets made from durable materials. This is both a fantastic storage solution and a way to add elegance to your porch or patio. Just make sure your vases aren’t labeled “for indoor use only” to avoid a calamity during extreme weather.
- Bring them in - Depending on the temperature and weather conditions, sometimes it’s best to bring your fake plants inside. Much like bears tuck themselves away in winter, some products may be more vulnerable to freezing or boiling temperatures. If you predict your fauxliege might suffer damage, bring it indoors before it's too late.
Do Artificial Plants Fade?
Yes. Artificial plants can fade over time, especially when exposed to direct sunlight.
But the sun shouldn’t be a death sentence for your faux plants. The extent of fading depends on factors like:
- The quality of the fauxliege
- The materials used in their construction
- The intensity and duration of sunlight they’re exposed to.
For example, each product listed on our site is UV-resistant. We embed protection during the production process and guarantee minimal fading.
For many lower-quality artificial plants, UV rays can break down the pigments and dyes in the materials and dull the colors.
Luckily, there’s a cure.
Place your artificial plants in shaded areas or use UV sprays to protect them from any harmful effects. And like we already mentioned, regularly cleaning your plants will help them maintain their appearance.
If you need more help with this issue, check out our comprehensive deep dive on making sure your fake plants don’t fade outside.
So, what have we gathered?
By choosing high-quality artificial plants and protecting them, you’ll create your own little evergreen oasis.
Just like tending to a garden - cleaning, rotation, and seasonal storage will help preserve the beauty of your fauxliege. Such humble gestures will pay dividends.
And if you want some help with your artificial plants, drop your email here and we’ll send you insights that can answer your questions.